- Local Comprehensive Plan
Local Comprehensive Plan
Local Comprehensive Plan
A Local Comprehensive Plan (LCP), often called a Master Plan, tells a community what it looks like today and where it wants to go in the future. It includes: assessments of existing resources and issues, projections of future conditions and needs, and consideration of collective goals and desires.
The Local Comprehensive Plan (LCP) will serve as a guide for the next decade of growth, development, and planning in Sandwich. The plan will be an actionable, measurable, living document. It will ensure that the town of Sandwich proactively moves towards 2031 as a vibrant community that is highly desirable to full and part-time residents, visitors, and businesses.
The Sandwich LCP envisions a vibrant, diverse and sustainable seaside community that cherishes our historic past, values our natural resources and creates new opportunities that make sandwich a great place to live work and play.
Steering Committee Members
To develop a truly "comprehensive" plan, the Board of Selectmen appointed the LPC made up of citizens with a broad range of backgrounds and interests representing the diversity of Sandwich. Committee members include:
- Jonathan Finn, Chair
- Lisa Hassler, Vice Chair
- Jonathan Fitch
- Jeffrey Picard
- Roy Anderson
Community Outreach Process
In 2020, the Town of Sandwich established a Local Comprehensive Plan (LCP) Steering Committee. The following January, the Committee conducted its first public outreach with an online visioning survey. More than 320 Sandwich residents participated in the survey, results posted below.
As soon as the public health crisis allowed, the Steering Committee held public forums in the fall of 2021, focusing on five categories:
- Creating viable, livable neighborhoods
- Protecting Sandwich’s historic character
- Enriching cultural and recreational opportunities
- Creating economic growth opportunities
- Protecting and conserving natural resources
To increase participation, two workshops were held for each category, for a total of ten opportunities for residents to participate in the process.
The committee used the information from the survey and workshops to help inform the Goals and Objectives of this LCP update.
Building on Past Plans and Studies
- Beach Management Plan 2013
- Bikeways and Pedestrian Master Plan 2018
- Coastal Projects Update 2018
- Community Rating System Progress Report 2020
- CWRMP-ExecutiveSummary 2017
- Discussion Smart Growth Presentation (PDF)
- Hazard Mitigation Plan 2016
- Local Comprehensive Plan Presentation February 2008 (PDF)
- Long Range Capital Plan - November 2012
- Long Range Plan - May 2018
- Marina Area Study Report 2015
- Open Space Recreation Plan 2018
- Pre Disaster Mitigation Plan 2004
- Sandwich Historic Preservation Plan 2002
- Sandwich Historical Commission Strategic Plan
- Sandwich Hollows Master Plan 2014
- Sandwich Housing Production Plan 2010
- Sandwich Local Comprehensive Plan May 2009 (PDF)
- South Sandwich Village Center Market Analysis 2010
- Zoning Bylaw November 2018
- Zoning Map 2018